For most of us, choosing a wedding suit is a new and hopefully once in a lifetime experience, which is why it’s essential to get it right.
If you’ve got lots of questions about the best wedding suit to choose then let us guide you in the right direction with the answers to these frequently asked questions:
1. Will this suit be used for work after the wedding or not?
If you’re planning to wear your suit for work or other reasons after your wedding then the style, cut and fabric you choose is of considerable importance.
Whenever I consult with clients this is the first question I ask and around 80% of people intend to use their suit for business afterwards, whilst the remaining 20% will use their suit for special occasions only.
In terms of economy, having a wedding suit made that you can then wear for work is cost effective and there are plenty of fabrics to choose from that strike the right balance between business and special occasions.
If you don’t intend to wear your suit again then you’ve really got complete freedom as to the colour, style and design you choose.
When is your wedding? Any decent tailor will have a turn-round time of at least six weeks so if you’re nearly six weeks away from your wedding date, call a tailor (preferably us) NOW! Remember that your wedding date cannot be moved to accommodate a late suit!
3. Fabric choice
To avoid looking too business like don’t opt for pin stripes, chalk stripes or very sombre colours like plain black.
Mid blues, greys and browns all work well for weddings, but there’s really an endless choice of fabric types and colours.
When it comes to fabric, opt for high quality such as mohair or fine wool which will look great and be built to last. You can choose fabrics that have been finished to a high lustre to add an extra touch of luxury that will still work in the office.
4. Style choice
To avoid the work wear look don’t opt for three-button single-breasted suits or double-breasted suits as they can end up looking too official and aren’t relaxed enough for a wedding.
I would personally recommend either a one or two-button single-breasted suit. A one-button in particular can work very well as a wedding suit and is versatile enough to be worn for other occasions or for work. My own wedding suit was a one-button.
Do you want to match your suit to the colour theme of your wedding? If you’re going for a pink or purple scheme you don’t have to choose a bright and bold fabric, but you could opt for a matching lining and pocket square that will tie in with the overall colour theme (see image above).
6. Colour of the bride’s dress
Although you probably won’t want to see the bride’s dress before your big day, it’s still important to ensure that your suit isn’t going to clash with the outfit of your wife to be.
To avoid seeing the dress try to get hold of a fabric sample so that you can bring it with you to your first appointment with a tailor and make sure that your suit will work well with the wedding dress.
7. Tails or no tails
If you want to wear a traditional top hat and tails then bear in mind that your suit must be worn as a 3-piece and your ushers will also have to wear the full outfit.
Unless you can afford to buy a top hat and tails for all your ushers they will probably end up hiring suits which are unlikely to measure up to the standards you expect.
You may also want to bear in mind that if you’re getting married in the summer a three-piece tailcoat with top hat can be on the warm side!
8. Three-piece or two-piece
The majority of groom suits we tailor are two-piece and single breasted but a three-piece suit is also a great wedding option. One advantage of the three-piece is that you are instantly differentiated from the ushers and the rest of the wedding party who are almost guaranteed to be wearing two-piece suits.
However, bear in mind that after your wedding you may not use the waistcoat again so the extra money you spent on it will be just for your wedding day.
9. The wedding party
Another factor you may want to consider is the sartorial intentions of the male side of your wedding party. Many grooms choose to give a semi-bespoke suit as a gift to their best man and/or ushers and others decide to split the cost with them. One advantage of this approach is that all of these suits can be tailored in the exact same fabric, which looks superb on the day and in the wedding photography.
Your ushers will also be delighted to add a beautifully tailored suit to their wardrobe for future use.
If the thought of choosing your wedding suit still fills you with dread then make sure you get in touch and we’ll explain all your options on your first visit so you can pick the perfect suit for your wedding and beyond.